Monday, August 23, 2004


Lightness is life.

In my
current itinerant mode, I will read a book, then discard it, leaving it around for someone to pick up.

Once Ive read it, what do I need it for? Books are heavy.

The two exceptions are, the Sextrology book mira gave me, providing insights upon repeated readings, and The Photoshop Book for Digital Photgraphers, which is useful beyond belief. so, they stay, even tho they weigh a gazillion pounds.

Everything else tho, is on an as-needed basis.

Easy to say, hard to practice.

I had to pack my immediate stuff, books included, this morn. I stuffed them into two garbage bags.
Now, everything would actually fit into one bag, no problem.. but it was the *weight* that had me dividing them into two.

This consequently had me muttering this morn: "I have too much *@#^#@ STUFF!!&#^%"

Two years ago, I wouldve been pleased as punch to have only two bags worth of stuff, much of it replaceable.

Now, Im beyond irritated.
------
The book Im currently reading is a book I found called 'Napoleon's Family', a treatise on the Bonaparte family and how they pushed class-climbing nepotism, profligate spending and fre-wheeling sexual escapades into an art form. Stuff I only dimly knew.

Great stuff.

I got to read it because here in the Bay, books get recycled. People will leave out tomes on the sidewalk, buses, meeting halls etc, so someone else can read.

Kinda cool, that.

Naturally, I and this book will part ways as soon as I finish, to be left somewhere I know it will be picked up and appreciated.

I kinda like this altruistic ad hoc system.

This morn, I came across another book. On one the 'Hell's Angels'. It'll prolly enlighten me.

But what tickled me was the stamp on the book. It had once, or prolly had been, the property of San Quentin prison.

I. cannot. make. this. stuff. up.

Im tempted to keep it as a collector's item of irony. Maybe sell it on eBay.

Realistically, tho - this is something I dont need once Im done with it.

And for that it must go.

No comments: