Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Pop quiz

- When was the last time I paid for internet access by having an ISP?

Mmm.. I would say, the year 2000. Road Runner cable in Manhattan. Yup.

Counting internet access and cable service, that puppy cost me $110 a month.

Jayzus.

Since then, with the help of several free dial-up accounts (helps to have friends in the industry), wireless, libraries and laptops, Ive paid nil. (Internet cafes dont count.)

Wow.

One friend whose place I couch surfed at came in one day and saw me online on my machine, not using his internet access, actually started looking for hidden wires and a wireless router. Heh.
At his place, I had about 15 open wireless points to choose from.

Im not celebrating, just more than slightly amazed at that.

So, its slightly ironic, that if I want free access in San Francisco, it involves a bit of a hunt, and underground knowledge.

Wouldja believe the majority of the coffee shops in this city are NOT wired?

(Plug in one of Marn's patented and apt phrases here..)
  • My thoughts, exactly.
  • You can well imagine my horror.
  • Ignore the loud, inconsolable sobbing.
  • Stunned. I am stunned. Well, more stunned than usual, anyhow.
  • My thoughts, exactly.
  • I so wish I was joking about this, but I am not.
  • It is so very, very hard not to be bitter.
  • I know. I'm as appalled by this as you are.
  • Drat.
  • You can well imagine my consternation.


    My thoughts, exactly.

    Well, Im in no mood to wander this fair and foggy city up hill and dale and back up hill again looking for access points.

    So, its a good thing I tripped upon

    Bay Area Free Wi-Fi Wireless Hotspots

    Finally, a good UP-TO-DATE-LIST. And comprehensive. (I was the one that added the San Francisco Public Library to it.. *puff*)

    Now, I need to figure out how to print out the list.

    This is a good thing.

    Cuz, until the phone companies bring down the cost of hi-speed wireless, I dont







  • No comments: