Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Gone fishing

JPennant: Im gonna try me some sushi today
misterB: first time?
JPennant: no, but Ive never gone to a sushi place by myself
misterB: ohh, ok
JPennant: the only sushi ive eaten regularly are supermarket rolls, mostly from trader Joe's
misterB: cool. gotta talk to the chef
misterB: that's part of the experience
JPennant: Well, Im gonna do it as cheap as I can at first
misterB: that's how you get the best service too
misterB: but yeah, I know what you mean about cost
misterB: if you get on the chef's good side, they will do a little extra for ya
misterB: the good ones will throw in lotsa extras
JPennant: I dont like spending over 20 bux for myself when eating out
misterB: nah, you don't hafta spend that much
JPennant: When i went out with J, she would treat me to Japanese food. She loves japanese food.
JPennant: I could barely hide my "So, whats so special about this?"
JPennant: one of the reasons we broke up :-)
misterB: heh
JPennant: My point is .. Im trying to figure out the appeal of sushi
misterB: like any kind of food, there's good and bad
JPennant: which means I have to appreciate the sublime
JPennant: Ive got 3 sushi places within a block of me
misterB: sometimes
JPennant: See, for me.. Sushi is not a 'filling' food
misterB: well, no it's not meant to be
JPennant: Im basically popping appetizers
misterB: ahh, buts that's not how to approach it either
JPennant: So, I gotta get past that, eh :-)
misterB: yup
JPennant: The subtlety is largely lost on me
misterB: its a different way of eating... not a lot unlike dim sum
JPennant: J took me to dim sum one time too.
misterB: but that is filling
misterB: and, there is good and bad dim sum
JPennant: I didnt understand dim sum either.
misterB: and also its more than just the food
misterB: dim sum is not really meant for just 2 ppl
JPennant: I think my preference is for food that can be both filling and sublime :-)
misterB: she probably didn't understand food ;-)
JPennant: No, she does. She just couldnt articulate it in a way we could both appreciate
misterB: next time you come to LA I'll fill you up on dim sum
misterB: did you go on a weekend?
misterB: dim sum that is
JPennant: The last time we did Dim Sum? Yeah, we did.
misterB: ok. weekday dim sum is usually subpar
misterB: but just add it to the list of things that we can share whenever you visit
misterB: and have the time

misterB: sushi can be filling if presented right
misterB: usually with lots of beer! :-D
JPennant: heheh
JPennant: and a lighter wallet
JPennant: I know there are some prix fix sushi places in frisco.. I just cant think of any right now
JPennant: Of all the feelings I abhor, one is going to a restaurant and walking out feeling robbed.
JPennant: Thats why i wanna start cheep
misterB: you really get into the sublime when you're paying big bucks for sushi
misterB: you can get good stuff at a fair price if you look around
JPennant: I appreciate the sublime.. just not on a regular basis
JPennant: plus Ive learned sublime doesnt have to be expensive
JPennant: in fact, it often isnt
misterB: true
misterB: but this is a different kind of sublime

Still a mystery to me.

No comments: