Saturday, April 28, 2001



"See, this is why I like this
blog thing. I type out
whatever's on my mind
and soon enough, I have
a solution. It's just like
talking to someone, but
since I don't like to bother
people with my simple
problems, this is a lot
easier. Yeah, or
something. "


- JettaGirl

------------

Joe, why'd you move to NJ??? Lots of nice places in Queens (NEW YORK!).

N Train Babble

Sun?

As Joey on Friends would say, "Make me an offer." :-)

Nah, as you know.. to find a simple, decent apartment in New York is hard enough, as you have to fulfill a few requirements..

- You have to know someone.

You can never find the apartment you want, when you want.
You have to catch someone who knows of a place, the place has to be available, and it has to be the right price.
And you have to know someone.

I know the super of this place. He is an ex-coworker who has lived here for over 10 years.

And HE learned about from a friend of his living here.

Cant get any better than that.

- Upfront costs require bank.

First month. Last month. Security. Brokers fee (now standardizing on 12% of the yearly rent).

Oh yeah, and you may have to pass along a little grift to the super to make sure there are no 'last minute snags".

Admit it, you will require help from the 'rents/SO/good friends to make bail, er, rent.

Me? Pay the rent. Every month. No security deposit. Month to month lease.

Yeah, wow.

Pays to know the super and have a landlord who doesnt need this to make his monthly nut.

Even though Im having trouble simply paying the rent right now, still a deal....

And you'd hate me forever if I told you what the rent is.

-Location, location, location.

Finding a place WHERE you want to live in the New York area.. is a cut-throat endeavor.

Everybody seems to want to live where you would like to.

If it's convenient to everything, fuhgeddaboutit.

If its in Manhattan? Magnify rules, requirements and hassles stated above by a factor of three.

And you'll be lucky to find a rat-trap.

Queens is nice enough I guess. Apart from the Number 7 train, tho - I dont want to face having to ride the trains into Queens daily.

Oho, yes - I have ridden the N train into Queens before. :-) Not exactly swift, is it? :-)

And I wasnt taking it during rush hour.
---
Until you get to New York, you dont understand - nay, appreciate- that simply finding and having a place to live is a grimly trying experience, on the mind of everyone.

Your choices are limited.

You end up taking what you can get.

And if you find a good place, you hang onto it for dear life as long as you can.

So, Sun - this place is neat, clean, convenient and cheap. Even if its in the outer burg of Bayonne, right next to Staten Island.
It is not a bad little place.

And it IS New York. Sorta. A hidden part.

Its also absurdly over-policed. Them and the mob keep it quiet. Ask The Kid sometime.

If you can find me better in Queens? Make me an offer. :-)

Plus, the latte's and italian cheesecakes at the Italian joints here are incredible. You'd dump your Dunkin Donuts swill in a heartbeat. :-)
-----------

No comments: