Wednesday, May 23, 2001


Aint no sunshine when she's
Gone...
Anytime she goes away..


The name and artist of this song escapes me...

George? Poo? Belle? Anybody?

This rainy, foggy weather puts me in the mood to sing those kinda melancholy songs. Not becuz Im feeling so melancholy.. just in the mood to sing 'em.

According to the radio, should clear up a bit today.

Ach. Blogspot icht der down.

Ah well, Im updating in the dark then.

Heh.. I was just telling Clint.. the difference between old, grizzled veterans like us and the young, grizzled newbies running these operations...

They continually fall for it when when someone tells 'em "99% percent uptime guaranteed." :-)

Heheh.

What was I pondering... hmmm.. oh yeah.. simplicity.

What with the machinery Im putting in here, Im afraid of having 'ginormous" (is that rilly a word, em?) amounts of machines, desks and monitors all around. I really do want that laptop life with a minimum amount of machinery visible and the wiring tucked away discreetly..

The server that clint sent me, I'd prefer to just wanna load Solaris and Slackware on it, and put it in a closet out of the way, never having to reboot it, it quietly sitting there routing and filing and serving, with nary a beep.

I may face the reality that I'll prolly have to build some ground-pounding Win2000 machine.. but do I really wanna?

I like the simple and the old school, thank you.

No, its more appreciation rilly.

I dont want to have to THINK about the machinery. I just want it to run.

And not be seen.

Where has that ideal, that aesthetic gone?

Call me a luddite. I just may be one.
----------


No comments: