Tuesday, May 22, 2001

Marn, who I think of as the Quebecois version of my ribald Canuck-based pal Poo (Poo? Her IRC nickname at one time was WitchyPoo, thats why.. geez, pay attention) just turned 50.

Her writings entertain many much.

She had something to say about the counter turning to da Police (50. Five-Oh. Hawaii Five-Oh. Urban slang for da cops. Jeez, pay attention.)

Ten years ago, I doubt I wouldve even grasped the significance of what she's talking about.

Now I might have a clue.

Um, where was I? Oh yeah, The Birthday.

    Will, the trainer down at my gym, turned 27 on Friday. He's still in the "I'm invincible" part of his life, the part where you can't conceive that you're not going to live forever, that you're not going to be able to make your body do exactly what you want it to do whenever you want, that you have endless time to chase down all your dreams. That part.

    I was watching him and his friend working out yesterday morning at my gym as I worked my way through my own routine and I couldn't help but get a twinge about the sheer strength and raw optimism of him.

    It's no accident that this year I'm marking my birthday year with hours spent trying to push my body back to levels of strength I had when I was much younger.

    Marn, the princess of procrastination, is coming to grips with the novel idea that time is finite. I am trying to change the tense in my life, to go from "someday" to "now".

    It's odd, hitting this milestone birthday. The woman who looks back at me in the mirror is no Cher--all the years are etched there on my forehead, around my eyes, and in my hair which has been white for a few years now.

    Even you know what?

    Inside I'm mostly the same, which is kind of scary, when you think about it. Yep, I may look grown up, look as if I have a clue or two accumulated after all this living, but the sad truth is that I haven't. Except for finally stumbling on the idea that I won't live forever, I'm pretty much as I was in my late teens.

    Except now I'm a white-haired, somewhat wrinkly teenager.

    Ewwwwww.



Heheh. I get it.

Before we were disconnected abruptly, I had someone run things past me to see if I was missing something in all this.

She said I didnt seem motivated, as well as other things.

But she also said, not to let things and people distract me from my ideas and my work.

Hmm.

I am trying to change the tense in my life, to go from "someday" to "now".

Hmm.

Maybe its not just about the job.

... that you have endless time to chase down all your dreams. That part.

Hmm.

Maybe I should go wish the woman a belated birthday.....
----------

No comments: