Wednesday, April 03, 2002

Heh. Mars was right. Dolphinfish is also the MahiMahi fishi of Hawaiian fame.

(Mahi Mahi is also more PC on a restaurant menu. Only in Florida do I see "dolphin" on the menu. They know the difference between mammal and fish here.)

She pronounces it to be "good eatin' ".
(She actually said 'mmmmmmmmmmmmm', but I'll paraphrase that. :-)

I had takeout from a local italian joint tonight, and guess what was the seafood special this evening?

Dolphinfish in a marinara sauce.

Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Never had MahiMahi/Dolphinfish before. I hear its really good eatin'.

I chickened out (by getting the chicken parmigiana instead).. but I was in the mood to munch on some Mahi Mahi tonight after seeing them go after that little fish like that.

Next time.
---------
Those MahiMahi things are impressive lookin live and up close.

Big, fast and built for speed. Fins sharp and tapered. The colors built to blend in and yet identify each other.

Efficient co-ordination on the hunt.

Predatory efficiency. Cat, Eagle, Shark. That is always something to see.

People tell me they see tarpon and snook in the canals too.

Whoa.
-----------
*sigh* Since my peripathetic (made-up word alert) writing isnt good enough for SOME people, its time for .. silly random pictures...

Little Havana











No, Im not about to screw with Cuban coffee, specially since my body can barely handle a Sandwich Cubano





Its a little thing, but it brought back memories of Jamaica.

In front of our house in Kingston we had these trees, and they were painted white up the trunk like that.

Its a common practice in Jamaica.. although I cant imagine why people do it.

But apparently they do it in Cuba too.. cuz I saw tree trunks painted like that all up and down Calle Ocho (Eighth Avenue)



Ay mami.

She was nice. I fell in love several times standing at that open air counter.

Didnt speak a word of english.

If this is the motivation I need...

Ay mami.

Boats

This place is a yacht paradise.





Actually its a cruise ship paradise too..









But while taking those images, I noticed a sloop..



In this place of super yachts.. it didnt look like much except for that incredibly tall mast.

(These pictures dont capture the height).

So, I amble over for a closer look see

And when I saw the name in blue script.. I realized it was THE boat I never thought Id see in my lifetime.



Its actually the main supporting actor in the book, The New New Thing.

Whats so special about the Hyperion?



The mast is 164 feet high (184 feet above the water), making it until recently the tallest mast made.



It is controlled by 20 Sun computers, allowing the boat to be controlled - if so desired, from anywhere in the world.

I know. Big Fat Hairy Deal.



*pshah* I totally agree.

If thats all it is.



Heh. But thats not what makes it mythic..

This boat is owned by Jim Clark, the guy who started Silicon Graphics AND Netscape AND WebMD.

(bear with me here..)

He wanted the most unique and kickass boat in the world. However, not yet being a Billionaire.. he needed to pay for his dream boat as it was being built and the costs went up by the millions.

So, he decided to push Netscape - a dinky little company that was essentially giving away its main product, into its record breaking IPO. (causing the VC's he coerced into backing him billionaires and the one who turned him down into commiting suicide).

Fifteen billion dollars later, he had his boat and the frenzy had started.

In essence, this little sloop with the big dick mast, was the catalyst that kickstarted the Internet boom and changed the world.



It should be in the Smithsonian.

And now he's building another boat....





No comments: