Wednesday, April 03, 2002

Something I wanted to write down before I forgot it..

While I had drives formatting and service packs and updates and checklists in my head.. I decided to walk out of the office for a bit of fresh air.

Behind the office, a part of the canal ends, and normally its a muddy wallow.. but today, the tde is in.

I normally try to see if I see any ocean fish in there.. I might see small bass and perch, but not much.

Then there started this almighty splashing. Then it stopped. Curious, I went to the edge looking.

Nothing.

Then out in the distance, I saw/heard splashes and a fish leapt out of the water, staying out of the water in these desperate leaps, coming back towards me....

I watched as it skipped back to the shallows, making crazy turns and leaps almost coming up and over the retaining wall to the grass bank.

Then I saw them thru the greenish murk. A pod of about 5 or six.. I couldnt tell.. barracuda? tuna?.. fast, sleek and predatory flashing back and forth, teeth snapping at the fish, herding it.

The little fish screamed back to the shallows toward me, when it would normally be running from me. The pod saw me, stopped.. and slowly turned away from the shallows.

Thats when I saw the distinctive green and squarish head of dolphinfish.

When I moved again, the dolphins broke off the attack, turned and screamed back to the depths.

The little fish stayed in the shallows.

Heheh. The staff thought I was beyond retarded as I kept going.. THAT WAS SO COOL!!!

Heh.

I guess the little fish escaped today.

After awhile I went back inside running mental checklists of service packs, IP addresses, VPN's and vendors to call.

But I had to write this down.

I just didnt want to forget that memory.


No comments: