Saturday, April 06, 2002

I tried.

I swear, I crashed-proofed this obsolete laptop. (Yeah, it may have cost a ginormous 4 grand with every optional extry Back In The Day, but now, with a 3gb drive and a whopping 96 megs of RAM... it is now a $400 doorstop.)

When I got it, it acted as if The Blue Screen of Death was the default wallpaper.

Every day was much drama.

I spent a day fettling it back into shape. I massaged and cleaned and whispered sweet nothings until I seduced it into passivity and stability.

Hasnt crashed or frozen since.

Until...

Now, when Dreamweaver came out - I would behold its intelligent design, its common sense principles. It was fucking BRILLIANT. I could run a god-damned BUSINESS with this software.

By the time Dreamweaver 4 came around, I kept a copy of Dreamweaver 2 on my ftp site, cuz it was the last one that I knew of that didnt implode spontaneously.

Mac or PC, run it hard and you will pay. Memory management is apparently a foreign concept to many of the developers at Macromedia.

I only installed Dreamweaver 3 cuz it could talk XML, even though I rarely had problems apart from the occasional freeze - I still regarded it as I would a drunken suspect.

But with a web site redesign needed, I said fine. So, I installed Dreamweaver 4 on the doorstop.

For the first hour, I romped. Romped, I tell you. I RTFM'd and sent Fred (the goddess of Palm and Dreamweaver and Freehand) silly questions, cuz I was all excited about using it.

The development team worked hard on this software, and it showed.

Life was beautiful.

Hours and hours of productive effort went by.

And then.

Ok.. all together now... lets all sing along to what happened next:

Blue Screen of Death
Blue Screen of Death
You didnt save a goddammed thing before
You hit ....theeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Blue Screen of Death


All gone. Style Sheets. Templates. Settings. Gone.

Add that to people reverting to habit and Acting Badly...

Grrr.

Hi. My name is Joey.

How YOU doin'.

No comments: