Saturday, May 24, 2003


Running the gauntlet

Being broke
and homeless myself, and having slept under the stars a few times lately, Im gaining increasing sympathy for those having to brave the chill of being without shelter on the East Bay's cold streets.

But Saturday is Market Day, specially in Berkeley - which means that everyone is open for business, including the folk on the street.

I have half a suspicion a good portion of the folk crowding Berekeley's Shattuck Avenue, pleading for spare change have

A) a fair amount of cash on them, and
B) Have a place to crash

Ok, call it cynicsm - but panhandling can be a very profitable career.

At least thats the impression you get running the gauntlet of dozens of people asking for spare change down a city street on a Saturday.

I ask myself the question - would I?

I will never say never, but nah - Id rather not.

I dont like asking people for cash as it is, even when I absolutely need it, and so going around begging strangers? *shudder* .. no

Id be more than disdainful of myself.

No.



---------
As I was typing the above outside the coffee shop:

"Brother, would you spare some change today."

I look up and into his eyes..

"Sir, you probably have more money than I do now."

Not the answer he was expecting. He pursed his lips, nodded and moved on.

It would be nice if one of these guys handed ME some cash right now.

Then, theres no need for moral superiority.

This is Berkeley. Ive heard of it happening.

But I wouldnt hold my breath.





No comments: