Sunday, May 18, 2003

Somebody should protest this


On the bus
, overheard somewhere on MacArthur Boulevard in Oakland

A father explaining to his kids that different people use different gas stations for whatever reasons, Shell, Exxon, Arco....

kid: Arco drills on ancient Indian land. They were protesting about that the other day...
brother: Maaan, if someone wipes their ass around here, they protestin!

Me:
<--- laid out on the bus seat, dyin laffin.

I have to admit, the kid is right... they protest about EVERYTHING here.
Like one Berkeley chica said to me yesterday, if they WERENT gonna go to war, somebody in Berkeley would be protesting THAT...

I swear to gawd, she's absolutely right.

F'rinstance, the war in Iraq has been fought and guess what...















When I caught up with them and talked, they explained they have this little thing every thursday evening, had been going for months, and they never stopped.

Then they sweetly asked me if I wanted to join their little protest group.

I had to smile sweetly back and explain that the activism just wasnt my thing.



They took it rather well, I thought.

Didnt protest or nuthin.

Har har.

I crack me up. :-)


-----------


No comments: