Tuesday, August 05, 2003

Frame it

Today
, I got my first check as a pro photographer.

In the good times, I made more than that in one day. Hell, I often blew more than that in one day.

Although I will have to admit, its a ludicrously large check for 20 minutes of work.

So, yeah.

My first pro check.

Ok, next step.. start my bank account.

Its another block in the foundation.
--------------
If I only lived in one area, the choice of a bank wouldnt be that big a deal.

However, since I could be almost anywhere in the future, choosing one becomes a Very Big Deal, even in this age of ATM's on every corner.

Ive learned this lesson the hard way.

So..

- Citicorp. Worldwide. Silly gaps in its coverage tho (ie - no branches in Northern Jersey).
- Wells Fargo. Big Cali bank.
- Washington Mutual. Nationwide. Lotsa ads. Offers free checking.
- Bank of America. Cali Bank, but now nationwide.
- HSBC. Big, International, but I cant remember seeing one in the Bay Area.

When I'd moved to NY, it came down to Citibank and Chase Manhattan.

I was actually leaning toward Chase for convenience (as it turned out all my checks from clients and employers were drawn on that bank).

Except for one thing - they treated me like shit. They wouldnt cash THEIR OWN CHECKS, unless you had an account with them.

And they were rude.

Nuh-uh.

Citibank got my business, and I was generally happy with them, except for their proclivity for kiting my checks in NY.
(ie: Checks that shouldve been cleared in 2 days as required by law, they would exploit loopholes and make it five days so that they could wring a little extra cash from MY money.)

However, when I did work and deposited checks while in Cali - they didnt play that game here, which eliminated my primary complaint with them.

Theyre the front runner based on the locals opinions.

But, Im in no particular hurry frankly.

Why rush something that will affect me for a Very Long Time?

I find that being patient puts time on my side.







No comments: