Sunday, March 25, 2001

Because of happenstance today, I saw the sun rise and the sun set while crossing the Bay on the ferry.

In fact, I happened to catch the same ferries.

Surreal.

Idle thoughts during the day:

- Walking by Battery Park in the morning, looking down and seeing an empty condom box on the ground. Type - studded.

That can only mean one thing.. the american tradition. Gay men having sex in a park under the cover of darkness.

But JEEZ

A) A very public park. Hell, a national landmark. Have some respect.

B) The windchill last nite was BELOW 10 degrees. Good god. How badly did they need it?

- Walking into the Whitehall Ferry Terminal

Man 1 - "Supposed to be fifty today.."
Man2 - "Nah, I heard closer to 42."
Man 1 - "Same neighborhood."

With a stiff wind blowing all day today, it doesnt matter what the temperature is. Its still cold.

Aint winter over yet? Shit.

- During the afternoon, I took up station on one of the back benches of the ferry and caught the rearward view.

I just relaxed and took in the view.

In fact, I took off my glasses and still didnt miss a thing.

Because I didnt need to focus anything, with light as bright and clear as it was, the scenery was still awesome looking thru blurry vision, and yet I didnt feel like it detracted from the experience.

- Loons flying over the bay.

Not geese, not mallards, but loons.

About twenty of them, flying low and fast over the water in perfect v-formation, stacked double decker.

Their formations were tighter than the Air Force Thunderbirds as they banked perfectly over the wake of the ferry and disappeared over manhattan.

In fact, I saw them on every trip throughout the day, putting on a show.

- The harbor was empty, the pace leisurely.

It didnt seem anyone was in a hurry today. Not on the harbor, not on the streets, not in the stores.

Odd. Even for a sunday in NY.

- On the last trip, a guy playing an alto-sax set the perfect mood as we slipped into the terminal, with the sun setting behind us.

He got a lot of cash and thank-you's as people filed out.

A camera wouldve been handy, but I have the feeling it wouldve gotten in the way of the day
----------------
I havent shopped for dress clothes in a long while.

Forgot the great sucking sound it makes on a credit card.

Even when the prices are decent.

Ugh. It's been awhile.
-------
While rummaging in my backpack, I came across something I had printed out last year.

It was by Jamie Gattenberg, it resonated with me then, and it resonates with me now.

But for different reasons.

"So, anyway, I'm wondering, why is it that I want to work forty hours? You know, a full week."

"You want to know why?" said my brother.

"Yes," I said.

"So that you can buy things. Cars. Houses. Planes. I don't know. Things."

"So you can plan for your future," added my sister-in-law.

"Ah, my future," I said.

"Yes," they both said.


Back then, I couldnt really discern a future.

Now, I know I will only work a 9 to 5 as long as its necessary to further MY future.

But no longer than is necessary.
----------------------------------------

No comments: