Saturday, March 24, 2001

I went walkabout last night.

I wasted a coupla hours beyond midnight, but I didnt really go far because it is still chilly around here.

If I werent on the island, I probably wouldve stuck to my original plan and taken a late night stroll through chinatown, visited a few of the late-night joints Jules of NY told me about.

But nah. Rich thought I was either bent or very, very cold when he saw me pull on the hat, scarf, jacket and gloves at 10 pm..

I had to go somewhere, so I decided to walk the entire length of this dutch-named street (as are most of the streets on Staten Island named).. ostensibly to walk to the store a mile away, but really - just to go walkabout.

Hey, if I were driving, I wouldve bolted for the next state - probably using the reason "I gotta go get some gas", as I did when Id bolt for Wisconsin back in the day.

My beau's would never quite understand why I'd disappear like that.

I guess its to get outside of myself, my head. To center myself, as all Virgo's need to do. Therapy if you'd like.

I remember my routine as taking off first thing on a Sunday morning to chase the sunrise, ending the day with a foot-tall ice-cream cone from Uncle Harry's in Burlington Wisconsin.

I remember my ex-fiance, curious as to why Id do it, ever trying to understand what made me tick, came along once for a day out.

I never did teach her how to drive a stick shift, so she was bored to death flying through the countryside by the end of the day.

She never asked again.

So I would end up chasing sunrises by myself.
---------------


No comments: