Wednesday, March 21, 2001

Waterbelle is the one who suggested the term 'Itinerant in New York'.

Being the stubborn ass that I am, I only grudgingly conceded.

She is being vindicated...

> ***All hail the mighty Google and its propensity for
> finding just about anything you're looking for, in
> any
> order.
>


Well, actually, its folk linking the site under that phrase.

It strikes a chord and draws the curious. In fact, I get a flurry of hits every time I update with Blogger, which is why I can tell the name intrigues them.

I need to get a new camera so that I can do it justice.

> > But 'Itinerant in NY' is more than a phrase - its
> an
> > attitude.
> >
> ***Yup. That's how I saw it. It's not just a way of
> life, it's a way of moving through life.
>
>


Just thought Id give her due credit.
--------------
Under my current need to organize myself, Im striving to answer my mail within a day.

Im only a day or so behind.. so far so good. :-)

Plus, its only good manners.
------------
Heh. Maria had this to say recently:

So now I'm happy. I think I may have even gotten some color back into my face. =)
Ahhh...I love enjoying life...especially when it doesn't bite you in the ass. =P


Reminds me of a conversation I had with Brian Y the other day about happiness.

Totally enjoyed it, but I didnt put it up, cuz Id been doing the IM/blog thing to death.. however...

theyams: yep, a lot of us worry about yoo, too :-/
JPennant: I know . I do appreciate y'all lookin out fer me. :-)
theyams: but I know that you've got a good head on those shoulders :-)
JPennant: thanks boss. But I think Im fairly lucky.
theyams: how so?
JPennant: Im doing fairly well considering.
JPennant: I am far from unhappy.
theyams: yeah, at least you're not losing your shirt in the Market :'(
theyams: yes, happiness is wealth!
JPennant: you know how when you look back at certain periods and realize you were actually happy, but didnt appreciate that you were happy?
JPennant: because you thought you didnt have everything you wanted or felt you needed?
theyams: yep, perspective is always better after the fact
JPennant: And reality is all about perspective
theyams: sometimes it's difficult to get that perspective until you lose something you had
JPennant: so why wait?
JPennant: I may be broke, itinerant and got no woman.. but Im far from unhappy. :-)
theyams: I have to say, that despite the pain I've gone thru recently, I still feel quite lucky....
JPennant: Right now Im housesitting a friends great apt with her cat, a fantastic view of New York and the Bay
JPennant: Ive got the freedom to do as I choose.
JPennant: my days are my own.
theyams: Shweet!
JPennant: Yar. Why should I wait for things to be perfect to be happy? :-)
theyams: there's nothing that sez you should, is there?
JPennant: nope. not at all. :-)
theyams: otherwise, you may never be happy in this lifetime
theyams: whatever happened to that apt you were waiting for?
JPennant: I spoke to the guy yesterday.. its almost ready.
JPennant: Changes are a-coming, so Im enjoying this period as much as I can. :-)
theyams: jeez, seems like it's been "almost ready" for a long while
JPennant: *sigh* Yeah, but you know.. it has worked to my advantage. So Im not questioning it.
theyams: changes? new job? new venture?
JPennant: all of the above. :-)
JPennant: Im putting my trust in faith. :-)
theyams: Ahh, that's where the perspective is comin' from, eh?
JPennant: And Im not even particularly religious. :-)
theyams: ya gotta have faith, whether it be in God, yourself, friends, LIFE... to be happy
JPennant: I had a dream years ago
JPennant: like I was allowed to take a peek at my life in the future.
JPennant: had the car, kids and brownstone
JPennant: all the things I thought I wanted
JPennant: so I asked - "but I dont seem happy.. am I happy?"
JPennant: and the answer was "That is not the point."
theyams: what is the point?
JPennant: happiness is not the point.
theyams: oh great Oz, what is the answer?
JPennant: Otherwise Id be craving stuff and things I didnt need
JPennant: just to be 'happy'
JPennant: There is much more to it than that.
theyams: eh, that's a pretty fine line....
JPennant: 'happy' is pretty limiting.
JPennant: if you think about it
theyams: it's all in how you define being 'happy' to your own self
JPennant: Not craving 'happiness' doesnt automatically mean youre craving the opposite.
theyams: comfort, self-confidence, satisfaction, all contribute
JPennant: Most of the things that have made me happy are out of my life now.
JPennant: I remember those things fondly.
JPennant: but sometimes you have to make room for more important things.
theyams: reliance on God can give you all of those things, but I'm not pushing that on anyone...
JPennant: There is indeed a difference between spirituality and religion
JPennant: not that the two have to be mutually exclusive. :-)
theyams: but how did you get to where you are now, without living the past?
JPennant: what do you mean?
theyams: sorry, that was a comment on what you said a while ago, regarding
theyams: what you said about your life now making you happy
JPennant: no, no.. what i said was.. I am not waiting for everything to be perfect to appreciate what I have now. :-)
theyams: oh, ok. well, that's good.
theyams: sometimes you never get what you're waiting for
JPennant: exactly
JPennant: why have your happiness depend on having to wait on something else?
JPennant: A new car, flush bank account, a perfect relationship, a neat computer or gadget?
JPennant: Dont get me wrong, those things are sweet. :-)
theyams: yes
JPennant: but, why put your perspective on hold while your waiting for all that?
JPennant: Chances are, if you want all that bad enough, they'll come
JPennant: but not necessarily on your own timetable.
theyams: almost never does....
JPennant: And time being the most valuable resource, why piss it away because its not 'perfect'?
theyams: speaking of that.... brb hahaha!
JPennant: I gotta go skedaddle'
JPennant: gotta go meet Kate to pick up the best bagels in brooklyn. :-) Speakin' o' happiness.
theyams: ok, have a good one! and get offa that island!


Yep. Its almost time.

No comments: