Friday, March 09, 2001

The last time I listened to the radio, I was driving regularly.

And even then, I rarely, if ever - listened to National Public Radio. (Sorry Jules).

I DO watch Conan O'Brien.

Hey, Im a man of the populi, yo.

And I caught a re-run of when Sarah Vowell was on.

I didnt know who this mousy, slightly goth-looking young woman was.

But she was MADD funny. Simply by her sarcastic wit and insight, that I recognized instantly.

Her writing, tone and opinion, is exactly reminiscent of the talented journalers I read daily.

Turns out she was hawking a collection of her NPR essays and Salon articles entitled "Take The Cannoli".

In her squeaky, mousy voice, she had Conan, the audience and me doubled over in laughter as she eviscerated the world with her opinion.

Why am I fascinated by her?

I want to do EXACTLY what she's doing.

My literary heroes arent Hemingway, Faulkner and Chomsky. Hell no.

Id rather chew up the works of Mike Royko and PJ O'Rourke, and write and make a living like they do.

Its not easy, but dammit - Ive known Ive always wanted to do it.

Brian Y gave me an idea yesterday, so profound I excitedly yelped 'HOLY COW" as I realised the answer Ive been searching for has been staring right up at me all this time.

Man, I OWE Waterbelle for putting that piece of gold in my hands.

Anyway, tomorrow I think I'll be doing a jaunt of Manhattan..

I'll prolly stop by the Strand Book Store and pick up a copy of "Cannoli".

And sit in the Astor Place Starbux coffeeshop thinking of ideas.

---------

No comments: