Thursday, January 10, 2002

Chelsea Studios
26th and 7th Ave
The Ricki Lake Show
Studio B

Show #9107
Ticket number 98

If you didnt know where the studios were, you would absolutely miss it, even with the big Ricki Lake banner above the doors.
Although all the television trucks outside mightve provided a clue.

- Joined brotha Omar in line. Told his bosses in Queen that his car had broken down, and he was waiting for a tow.
Was aiming to get into work by 3pm.
He didnt make it.
His comment "Man, if this show is whacked, Im just gonna bounce."
Tourist couple behind us.. "What is 'whacked'?
We translated.
They seemed to get the concept of 'bouncing'.

- They checked ID's while in line. When the guy asked me, I busted out laffing, pointing to my grey beard.
He wasnt impressed. I hadda show ID. Damn.

- They gave us snacks. I took a KitKat and TWO pax of Chocolate chip cookies, even tho the sign said 'one'. Eh.

- Metal detector. I was clean.

- Omar on phone while sat in waiting area "Yo Man, you gotta come DOWN here sometime.... OOOOOHHH" (.. he exclaimed as I pointed out some of the sights) "MAAAAN, Its a HO-FEST down here!!!!".

No more than on your usual NY street corner...

They told us the rules...

- Dont read along as Ricki reads the teleprompter
- Dont mack on the show guests clothes.
- Check your hair, makeup or weave. Make sure you look good, as the show will be in re-runs worldwide for YEARS. Damn my homeless man beard.

- Omar still on the phone: "I aint gonna lie brutha, there's some GHETTO chicks down here...real P-J's.."

- The studio is smaller than we expected, the rows only go up 5 levels.

Oh the show.. eh.

"Teen Sex Confessions" or sumthing like that.

It was whacked. Omar didnt bounce. He had a good time.

Some people REALLY come alive when they know theyre 'on stage'.

I was on camera a LOT, as Ricki kept bouncing into our section. Right behind, slightly to her right, hand over my face.

- Omar put his hand up, Ricki put the mike to his face... and mildly admonished the wayward uncle.

- The 'Relationship Doctor' sat beside me. Wearing leather, leather, leather. Red included. I had my hand over my face.
Ricki gushed at her.

- We wondered why Ricki wasnt doing the show with New York teens, who tend to have far more active sex lives than these teens from South Texas.

- The father (step-father), being a southern, church-going man - had his jaw on the floor as a clip rolled of the young teens's BLACK thugged out boyfriends.
He was a bit shell-shocked. The producers (all seemingly older and jewish) nodded in approval.
The mother was prompted to oh.. yell a bit at the girl.
The teens seemed more clued in than the elders.

I noted I was older than the mother, who became pregged at 15 herself.

Fast forward...

- The show ended, they had us do a few extended "audience shots", Ricki came out with her child, we ooohed and ahhed. She asked us to come again. They asked if we wanted to stay for the second show.

I hate clapping. I bounced. Omar too.

He got a t-shirt for dancing on stage (forgot that part), I got a key ring as I left.
---------
There were staff from "Change of Heart", in the same studio complex, looking for audience members.

I declined. Omar signed up for a show next week.

He wanted to be one of the guests.
-------
(From a flyer given to me as I left)
SINCE YOU WERE SUCH A GREAT AUDIENCE MEMBER...

YOU'RE INVITED BACK TO A SPECIAL ADDED SHOW!

If you cant make it, please pass this flyer along to a friend

(Doing it now)
Also, as a thank you to the audience members, we are now giving away some great prices (sic) such as Sony Walkman, Discman & VCR etc. You could be the lucker winner of these great prizes.

You do it, Em. I dont have the heart to say anything about the grammatical abilities of some of the staff. No concept of proofing either.
It continues..
RICKI'S AUDIENCES ARE THE GREATEST!!!!!!WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 16TH
3:30pm ARRIVAL
(DRESS YOUR BEST)


FOR FREE TICKETS
CALL
212-352-8600

To reserve your seat a.s.a.p
Studio Address
221 W. 26th St
(Between 7th and 8th Ave.)

ONLY A FEW SEATS AVAILABLE FOR OUR SPECIAL FRIENDS LIKE YOU!


You have been warned. :-)
-----------






No comments: