Sunday, June 23, 2002

SUV's. Trucks.

Lotta trucks with high clearance here in South Florida. I mean, almost every upscale family has one. I do mean every. I no kidding.

There are a LOT of SUV's and trucks here.

I tried to figure that out earlier, and I concluded that everyone here tows a boat basically.. so that must be it.

Silly me.

I found out why this evening. Coming home in the rainstorm from the theater. Where a downpour dumped massive amounts of water. (We could hear the thunder rattle the movie theater through the sound proofing, as if somebody was stomping on the roof .)

I waded through thigh-high water to get to the car. (I had learned my lesson from the last time I was there, and avoided leaving the car in the lower parts of the parking lot.)

Seeing the fuel guage flirt with the letter E, I had no desire to run out of gas in standing water, so I headed to fill er up.

Umm, power was out in our neighborhood. No power, no pumps, no gas.

So I headed out west a bit to find a station.

Long story short. Many,, many cars stranded in deep water. I helped push a few outta the water. I helped a few find the drain plugs on the bottom of their cars (my arm still itches from plunging my arm under dirty water to grope for the rubber plugs that are on every car..)

None of the stranded were trucks or SUV's.

I get it now.
--------
The detrius of a misspent youth in gyms and weightrooms are my wide, large shoulders, large legs, thick neck.

(LilBro once said: Man, I used to just look at your calves in awe. It looked like you had these *bowling balls* in your legs.. )

Now, much of it is still evident, just now I got a gut and waist that wont quit.

Not so evident are my afflictions due to that life.

A wacked out left knee with torn cartilage. Sore shoulders from too much bench work. And tight, sore Achilles tendons from when I walked/bounced on my toes.

I dont walk on my toes anymore, but I still have that bounce (I used to be able to backpedal almost as fast as I could run forward, useful for changing directionwithout losing any speed..).

I demonstrated that bounce high-stepping through the water today.

Yeah, this big guy can still move.

And now my achilles are tightening up and killing me. OUCH.

No comments: