Monday, May 14, 2001


Doctor: "You wont catch him, he's too smart."

Marshalls:
"HEY!!OHhoho....
- ..We're pretty smart..
- ..I always thought I was..
- ... last time I looked..."

Deputy Gerrard: "Well, ok... he may be smart. Is he as smart as you?"
Doctor: "Smarter."

- The Fugitive



My fatal flaw is that I tend not to do things unless Im motivated.

As Debbi Kempton-Smith put it about about us Mars in Cancerians " ..their worst habit is they let opportunities go by because theyre not in the mood."

But I dont think Im worse than yer average bear.

Like this blogger thing. Its always been flaky, but like most people, we've learned to work around its quirks.
But its not conducive to actually getting stuff done if its not working, as it increasingly isnt, which is why the smart folk are abandoning blogger in droves as they look for more reliable alternatives.

For years, Ive always been interested in publishing solutions that blogger neatly addresses... but I figured someone else would do that.

The talented Noah Grey actually whipped up an elegant Perl Script and called it GreyMatter.. which is growing to be the preferred remote publishing tool of choice for the cognoscenti of the blogging world.

When we talked about doing this years ago, Eric and I thought of the parameters that became one of his tools.. Edgar ..which he uses for publishing to the Intranet at work.

Eric and I looked at the source code of GreyMatter.
Nice.. but we thought we could make that industrial strength.

Something that combined the power of Vignette StoryServer (without the price and consultants), with the ease of use of Diaryland, with the features of blogger.

I always thought I was pretty smart, and if this isnt an opportunity to actually learn something the hard way,I dunno what would be.

I was just never really interested to strain brain cells on doing actual programming..

Not in the mood to ferk wit all that.

But my growing irritation at the flakiness, unreliability and growing unsuitability to cross-platform publishing that blogger has become.. is prodding me to do something home-brewed for my current and future needs.

Out of tragedy, often comes opportunity. And Im in the mood.
-------------



No comments: