Saturday, May 19, 2001

For the first time for a long time, I met folk for coffee and conversation.

Astor Place starbux natch.

People around us were listening to our wide-ranging convo, specially as we talked about one of the great works of the last century.. The Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy.

One guy even stopped by our table, waiting, until we stopped, looked up at him.. as he grinned and said "I just have to say, I agree.. those are the best books Ive ever read."

Then he grinned a grin of pure joy and walked away.

Of course, now that he (Doug Adams) is dead, I have to pay tribute and read them again.

"..and thanks for all the fish", indeed. :-)
--------
One of the most heated topics was...crossing 30.

Heheheh.

I might have been a tad condescending. My bad. :-)

But I knew how they were gonna react. I did the same thing back then.

Since I was talking to twenty-somethings.. I tried to impart that ..yes.. crossing the age of 30 is indeed a big deal.

You wont appreciate just how much until yer a few years past it.

Not anticlimactic at all, either.

When I was younger, I listened, and tried to get it. But I was a bit indignant.

These elder fuckers were talking down to me! YES, I could understand. And here's why...

Shit, they werent THAT much older than me!

They would chuckle and say.. "Just wait.. you'll see."

And.. sure enough.. I said the same thing this night.

We got into the Saturn Return, life cycles, the wisdom of cliches, the art of acceptance and appreciation of time and our place... all that.

Since these werent yer average dumb bunnies, they pressed me and disputed points.

Very cool. :-)

At least they wanted to know, even if they were a bit dismissive as to the importance of crossing the age of thirty.

Their point was.. it wasnt that quantum a leap. Theyve lived and kinda been there. Its just a number. Not a definitive age.

I gave that to them.. its different for different folk.

But it IS a different level. On all kinds of levels.

At least they listened. They'll understand later.

In anycase, I told them what I could.

Because I have my own concerns.

Ive still got hurdles.

Forty and fifty is upcoming far too soon.

This time, Im just hoping I'll get there.

Not just through it.
-----------
The Venti Mocha didnt really affect me..

Good. Either not drinking a shitload of coffee daily is helping or my tolerance threshold isnt as acute.. but its good news.

The other night in the supermarket, I stood pondering at a coffee maker on sale.

I want to, but I shouldnt.

I dont drink a whole lot of coffee anymore. And having a carafe available and around..this would get me back in the habit.

Plus, Id have to buy filters an coffee an chit.

Yes, I would save money.. but not having enough for a 10 oz New York cup occasionally.. no, thats not a bad thing.

I wrestled with all these sisyphian thoughts before I finally chucked the rock and left the coffee maker on the shelf.

But its still on my mind.
--------------

No comments: