Friday, April 06, 2001

I have not collected an unemployment check since... April of 93.

Not because I havent been unemployed since then. Just that I dont like the feeling of depending on the whim and largesse of the system.

Its a matter of pride. Waiting around for the dole and making up lies to keep getting checks isnt appealing.

Could I collect unemployment now? I doubt it, since being freelance and not involuntarily unemployed disqualifies me.. :-)

But nah, Id rather sling Whoppers and go home with that fast-food 'oil' smell/funk stuck to me than collect unemployment again.

Its a matter of pride.

Im reminded of my attitude by this snippet from Dorie's blog.. recently laid off from Inside magazine.. and a coworker fearfully utters the class-defining (and lowering) "W" word...

Monday, April 02, 2001
well, this is it - i've finally experienced the 'dot com fallout' i've been waiting for. it's been the impetus to freedom, and now i'm not nearly as upset about paying taxes since i'm going to get some of it back... that makes me feel a little better about collecting the dole (i overhear my coworker going 'but it's NOT welfare!')... that regular paycheck sure was nice, but hey...


"...but it's NOT welfare!!"

Heheh. I gotta shake my head.. reminded of the phrase my LilBro utters when someone sez or does something that shows theyre a little detached from the common experience....

*White people..*
--------------

No comments: