Friday, April 06, 2001

Still waiting to go back to work.......

2:30pm

Cris: Hey hey
JPennant: yo boss
JPennant: wassup?
Cris: Not much man...at work...designing some tables for a system
JPennant: okie
Cris: Did you start your new job yet?
JPennant: Nope. Havent heard anything
JPennant: So, Im sending out resumes agian. Even the recruiters arent responding, which is odd...
Cris: Well, I saw on the news last night that recruiters are currently floaded with resumes (hi tech recruiters anyway)
JPennant: yep
JPennant: I can see that
Cris: Where most used to receive 5 - 7 new resumes per week they are averaging 20 - 30 now.
Cris: However, they did say that there are jobs and that they are just currently backlogged
JPennant: heh. Lotta low-end techs out there... :-)
Cris: There sure are.
JPennant: I think I need to start learning a buncha skillz to make endz meet.
Cris: More tech skills or other things?
JPennant: I keep nattering about learning mail and QA.
JPennant: yep
JPennant: mail=sendmail and exchange
Cris: THose are two useful thigns to learn
JPennant: Indeed
Cris: How is your SQL?
JPennant: Havent touched it in years.
Cris: It hasn't changed.
JPennant: Watcom SQL on Novell hooking up Access2 databases was my last exposure
JPennant: It HAS changed. :-)
Cris: Well...SQL is different on the various DBs...but the general ideas are the same
JPennant: yeah true
JPennant: but its still been a few years.
Cris: and OOP DBs certainly haven't gotten very far...relational DBs will be king for the forseeable future
JPennant: DB admin, eh :-)
Cris: It's not a bad gig
JPennant: They do charge madd money
Cris: Yep...and it's easy
JPennant: Wellll, its still hard work.
Cris: Maybe you should work on Oracle certification
JPennant: Yeah, I had a copy of Oracle 8i lying around
JPennant: but I need exposure to a production enviro
Cris: I would take that path...it's a good general path to take and Oracle will be around for while.
Cris: And Oracle is used in every computing environment.
JPennant: Heheh.. still. My hair turns green thinking of being a db admin
Cris: hehe
JPennant: Right now I think Im better off learning general Unix/Solaris and mail.
Cris: Well, that isn't a bad idea either....I recommend the "learn them all at the same time" approach.
JPennant: Heheh
Cris: That would be good man.
JPennant: true dat :-)

No comments: